Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I think the Chevrolet Volt will be to expensive

I was going over the Wiki on the Chevrolet Volt and it looks like trouble. First off, I like the Chevrolet Volt, it's a cool looking car for a 'hybrid' (GM is insisting on calling it an electric vehicle, so whatever) and it looks practical for what it is. First a little background; the Chevrolet Volt is expected to debut in 2010 as an electric vehicle that will have a range of 40 miles on a single charge. This falls in line with the average commuters daily mileage of 33 miles and means that, in theory, you wouldn't have to worry about buying gas for the thing.
Original speculation was that the car was going to cost between 20 to 30 thousand dollars. In my opinion, that was the sweet spot. Considering how gas prices are on an upward spiral with no end in site and the fact that we will never see cheap gas again, that price range would make the Volt fly out of the showrooms. Will, recently Bob Lutz, CEO of GM, stated that the car would more then likely cost in the 30 to 40 thousand dollar range. Ouch, but the Toyota Prius was around thirty thousand or so when it's new model arrived, so were still with you. Lutz then stated that due to development cost's expect the car to cost around 48 thousand. Ok you lost me.
Why? I flat out cant afford that because I'm poor. And even if I could afford a payment on a $48000 car I wouldn't have to worry about gas prices as much as I do now, so it would not be high on my shopping list.
Ah well, they have to start somewhere. Hopefully they will have the technology standardized in a decade that people can by an electric Chevrolet Cobalt for $14,999 by 2018.

No comments: